VITAL RECORDS ID REQUIREMENTS
According to the State of Tennessee Department of Health, “in preparation for compliance with the Intelligence Bill passed into law in December 2004, the Tennessee State Registrar for Vital Records is implementing new guidelines that govern the release of birth and death records at the state and local level.” The new requirements are as follows:
- If the application is signed and notarized, no additional identification documents are required.
- If the actual “mother’s copy” of a 2004 or 2005 birth certificate is presented by a parent, no additional identification documents are required.
Accepted Forms of Identification
A. One item from the following list: (A government issued I.D., which includes requestor’s signature)
- Current drivers license, including the issue and expiration date.
- Current passport
- Military I.D. card
- Alien, temporary or permanent resident card
- Employment authorization card
- U.S. Certificate of Naturalization
- Certificate of Citizenship or Citizenship I.D. card
- For students, a recent school I.D. card
OR when none of the above is available
B. Two items from the following list:
- Current pay stub or W2
- Vehicle registration with name and current address
- Voter Registration card
- Military Discharge (DD214)
- Utility Bill, Bank Statement or deposit slip with name and current address
- Health care coverage card
- Medical record
- Application page of an insurance policy
- Signed Social Security Card
- For those persons who have had their I.D. stolen, a copy of a police report or other official documents which support the theft.
For more information, please contact the Sullivan County Local Registrar, at Sullivan County Regional Health Department at 423-279-2780.